Computer Systems Engineer (CMS)
Job opening ID
Computer Systems Engineer (CMS)
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
4 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s main website (www.jpl.nasa.gov) is currently hosted internally at JPL on physical servers. The primary technology stack is Linux, Apache and MySQL. There is a legacy, custom-built content management system (CMS) based on ColdFusion supporting the current site. The legacy CMS supports multiple content publishers. Under this task, the site and a new CMS will be implemented in Amazon Web Services (AWS) using AWS components and an OpenSource CMS. A new AWS reference architecture has been co-developed with AWS architects and the resulting infrastructure has been provisioned in AWS. This task will result in a new site with a new CMS being implemented and delivered in AWS and the populated web site exposed to the public.
Responsibilities: The web engineer will be responsible for the following.
· Understanding the architecture and implemented system in AWS with the assistance of the OCIO System Administrators
· Understanding the installed CMS application in AWS (now Lektor www.getlektor.com but Druplal www.drupal.org would be an acceptable substitute)
· Performing a detailed review/inventory of the www.jpl.nasa.gov site to understand and document all discoverable components
· Collaborating with JPL web engineers to understand and document the current www.nasa.gov programming, templates and current content publishing process
· Developing and documenting all templates and programming for the new site
· Transferring the knowledge, skills and tools necessary to maintain and advance the new templates and programming to the JPL web team
· Developing and documenting the entire, end-to-end new CMS and multi-contributor publishing and approval process
· Transferring the knowledge, skills and tools necessary to maintain, operate and advance the CMS to the JPL web team
· Migrating all content, services and features to the new site, including videos to be hosted in YouTube
· Collaborating with OCIO Quality Assurance to perform functional, load and performance testing on the new site and subsequently remediate any functional, load or performance issues
· Collaborating with JPL IT Security to pass a system scan and thereby ensure all security requirements are met and all deficiencies remediated
Understand all aspects of hosting and maintaining a major public engagement web site in AWS
· Understand how to originate and manage AWS support tickets
· Demonstrated experience in migrating large, public-facing web sites into AWS
· Demonstrated experience in hosting video in YouTube linked to a web site
· Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with production-quality, multi-contributor content management systems.
· Demonstrated knowledge of web site IT security standards, practices and protective measures.
· Demonstrated quality of delivered documentation
· Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge, skills, practices and tools to web site team
Number of positions