Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
1 year contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
This position provides principal secretarial support in an office, usually to one individual, and, in some cases, to the subordinate staff of that individual. The Secretary maintains a close and highly responsive relationship to the day-to-day activities of the supervisor and staff, works fairly independently receiving a minimum of detailed supervision and guidance, and performs various clerical and secretarial duties requiring knowledge of office routine and an understanding of the organization, programs, and procedures related to the work of the office. Computers may exist in the environment, requiring working knowledge of certain office software programs.Organizational structure is complex and is divided into subordinate groups that usually differ from each other as to subject matter, function, etc. Supervisor usually directs staff through intermediate supervisors. Internal procedures and administrative controls are formal. An entire organization (e.g., division, subsidiary, or parent organization) may contain a variety of subordinate groups that meet the LS-2 definition. Therefore, it is not unusual for one LS-2 supervisor to report to another LS-2 supervisor.
Job typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 3-6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 0-1 year of related experience; related required training.
• Experience in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
• Strong planning and scheduling skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
• Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
• Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
• Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
• Must be a team player.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
• Staff Assistant experience in a technical section office environment.
• Experience with JPL tools such as Docushare, JPLID, UCS, Travel and Timekeeping.
• Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
• Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals
• Experience with Microsoft SharePoint.
• Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
• Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
Number of positions