Mechanical Engineer w/Active TS/SCI
Job opening ID
Mechanical Engineer w/Active TS/SCI
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen with Active TS/SCI Clearance
18 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
This unique opportunity is part of the Mechanical Systems Engineering, Fabrication and Test Division which engages in research, technology development, and the creation of advanced mechanical, thermal, propulsion, and electronic packaging systems with expertise that spans the full breath of mechanical disciplines, and is applied from architectural concept development through mission operations.
As a Mechanical Engineer III you will be working for JPL’s Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which is responsible for the architecture of mechanical engineering designs and solutions that enable unprecedented spaceflight missions and science acquisition. You will work with a team that leads the development of mission enabling technology and end-to-end mechanical systems for all JPL projects and missions.
• Serve as a Mechanical Integration Engineer for a JPL Flight Project.
• Work in a collaborative environment to design, analyze, build and test mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE) and tooling for a Flight Project.
• Develop Storyboards depicting the Mechanical Integration and Test (I&T) flow to determine MGSE, technical personnel, facilities, and tools that are required for a Flight Project.
• Estimate cost, and develop schedules required to produce MGSE.
• Interface with engineers, analysts, designers, manufacturing specialists, machine shop, flight techs, and project staff.
• Establish requirements, and specify interfaces for flight hardware for MGSE under development.
• Work independently, and under the direction of the group supervisor, project management, and technical leads.
• Direct work for one or more junior engineers or flight techs as required.
• Serve as a Contract Technical Manager (CTM) for MGSE procurements outsourced to sub-contractors.
• Develop procedures for the testing, usage, and set-up of MGSE designed for Flight Project I&T.
• Coordinate the deployment and usage of MGSE to a Flight Project, including setting up critical reviews of MGSE prior to delivery.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• Practical experience using advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in solving mechanical engineering problems, with the ability to perform trade studies, develop conceptual configurations, engineer piece-parts and mechanical systems, and facilitate the fabrication, assembly, and qualification of MGSE hardware.
• Expertise in two or more mechanical engineering disciplines for the design, analysis and test of structures and mechanisms, including strength of materials, machine and structure design, structural/mechanical testing, manufacturing engineering, mechanical systems, and machine shop practices.
• Practical experience using CAD modeling software (preferably Unigraphics/Siemens NX, SolidWorks, and Teamcenter) used in a Product Delivery Management (PDM) or similar Concurrent Engineering environment.
• Demonstrated experience developing and delivering mechanical parts, assemblies or mechanical systems.
• Demonstrated experience performing stress analysis of structures and mechanical elements, using classical hand methods and Finite Element Modeling.
• Knowledge of Standards for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerances (GD&T) per American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Y14.5.
• Knowledge of academic and industry practices and standards across a range of applications related to the development, production and safety of aerospace flight hardware and systems.
• Proven ability to work in a team environment.
• Experience leading one or more junior engineers or techs on an engineering project.
• Good communication (oral, written, presentation), interpersonal, negotiation and organizational skills.
• Requires active TS/SCI clearance.
3D CAD animation tools for presentations (e.g. SolidWorks-Composer or NX-Cortona 3D)
Hardware integration experience (high bay floor operations)
Lifting devices/Crane operations
Number of positions