Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
25 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
• Design updates and drawing releases on all projects.
• Design, build, assembly and test (iBAT) processes to fabricate and assemble packaging and cable harness designs.
• Interface with machine shop for delivery of mechanical hardware and quality assurance to develop solutions to resolve discrepancies with hardware fabrication.
• Work independently and lead teams in solving complex packaging and cable harness problems.
• Demonstrate flexibility in handling work assignments.
• Define and scope tasks and acquire resources to complete a task on time and budget.
• Lead design teams in a collaborative environment to design, develop support equipment for the project and research applications.
• Lead design reviews.
• Interface with engineers, designers, analysts, machine shop, and project staff.
• Work independently and under the direction of the group supervisor, project management, technical leads, and proposal managers as required.
•Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 year of related experience; PhD with 2 years of related experience.
•Advanced knowledge in computer aided engineering (CAD) using tools such as unigraphics NX, solidworks, Autocad .
•Extensive understanding and wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in mechanical design, ability to solve packaging engineering mechanical design problems, perform trade studies, develop design requirements, perform piece part design and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
•Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in mechanical systems including structures, configuration, electronic packaging, structural analysis and integration and test.
•Advanced knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: design of printed wiring boards and electronic enclosure/chassis, manufacturing and assembly of printed wiring boards and cable harnesses.
•Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in drawing requirements, drawing processes and inspection reports.
•Extensive experience interfacing with various suppliers and services including printed wiring board and mechanical fabrication, electronic assembly, project representatives and mission assurance.
•Advanced understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in soldering operations, cable assembly and surface mount technology electronics manufacturing.
•Advanced knowledge of design, build, assembly and test (IBAT) process.
•Advanced written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills.
•Must be able to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
•Broad knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
•Broad knowledge in Mechanical Analysis tool (FEM).
•Experience with spacecraft flight hardware development and test.
•Experience with Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design tools such as Mentor or Altium.
•Experience with Cable design, assembly and test
•Desire a candidate who is assertive, self-motivated and can work with minimal direction.
•Working Knowledge of the JPLdrawing release process and inspection reports.
•Working knowledge of the JPL Instruction, build, assembly and test ( iBAT) process.
•Working knowledge in Unigraphics NX or Solidworks.
Number of positions