Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Estimated duration of 17 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Some travel required.
• Will be responsible for performing manufacturing engineering functions for the development of mechanical hardware
• Establishing and maintaining interfaces with multiple JPL customers
• Collaborating with cognizant engineers/customers on hardware design features to improve manufacturability
• Supporting the process of locating, evaluating, and establishing new vendors as a laboratory resource in fabrication
• Planning, initiating and monitoring hardware fabrication activities
• Participating in "Make or Buy" decisions, interface with outside vendors
• Utilizing multiple modules in the Oracle Discrete Manufacturing suite of programs, to develop the implementation plan for the work, estimate WIP, the technical progress of the work and resolve any technical, cost or schedule issues as they arise
• Adhering to strict attendance guidelines
• Attending weekly Manufacturing Engineering group meetings
• Working with Cognizant Engineers in the development of precision hardware for an assortment of applications on various projects
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
•Driving (a government issued vehicle) is required for this position. Must have a valid California driver’s license, a clean driving record and successfully pass a DMV check.
• Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree degree in Manufacturing Engineering or related field, with 6 years of related experience; Masters with 4 years of related experience; PhD with 2 years of related experience; related required training
• Must have extensive understanding, technical expertise and experience in the following areas:
- Fabrication techniques/metal processing or manufacturing engineering and familiar with aerospace materials: Reading and interpreting engineering drawings per ANSI Y 14.5, GD&T
- Manufacturing processes: machine operations, sheet metal, welding and metal processing
- Collaborating effectively with engineers/customers concerning feasibility, design, and evaluation of complex geometry requiring multi-axis machining.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, computer skills and be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Available to work day and night shifts, overtime, weekends, and/or holidays, as needed.
- Will travel to work in distant locations, domestic and/or international, as needed
- Proficient in SolidWorks, Unigraphics, or similar CAD tools
Desired Skills :
• Minimum 8 years prior experience in a manufacturing/machine shop environment, specializing in multi-axis machining of complex parts, emphasis of prototypes and concurrent engineering
• Highly energized, self-motivated, multi-tasking with the ability to work on assignments that are complex in nature using considerable practical judgment, making recommendations and resolving problems
• Experience working in an MRP environment
• Taking verbal and incomplete design elements and recommending to engineering personnel solutions in the manufacture of prototype hardware
Number of positions