GNC Systems Engineer
Job opening ID
GNC Systems Engineer
GNC Systems Engineer
Roles and responsibilities
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced engineer to join the Flight System Systems Engineering (313E). You will report to the group supervisor and work on tasks such as:
• Support flight system engineering trade studies and perform technical analyses in support of technical trades
• Track critical system resources and assess impact of changes to the system
• Define complex GNC system behaviors and work with key stakeholders to mature that design
• Support the definition of GNC design and analyses
• Your initial assignment will be to serve as a Flight System Systems Engineer as an engineer, working on the group’s deliverables to the Psyche Project. Specific near-term tasks include:
• Support the development and instantiation of requirements, interfaces and designs
• Support the development of system level behavioral products which include functional behavior specifications and command and telemetry definitions
• In the long run, work on tasks such as definition and development of verification and validation plans and procedures. In addition, you may participate in system test execution and in problem identification and resolution.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
- The qualified candidate is extremely motivated in the development and design of complex systems and understands how to define and employ key interfaces on the path to design closure. Minimum technical qualifications include:
• Related experience in systems engineering which may include requirements development efforts, technical analysis in support of system level trades, experience in interface control document definition, system level behavior definition, subsystem or system level test
• Experience in GNC test development, troubleshooting, and post test data preparations and review
• Applying systems engineering concepts and techniques in support of specific functional areas and activities
• Working independently on project assignments with limited direction. Exercise discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
• Advanced understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in aerospace systems engineering.
• Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in analytical skills, including an ability to apply mathematical techniques to solve multi-dimensional problems.
• Strong commitment to customer satisfaction with effective teamwork and leadership skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate complex architectural and/or algorithmic ideas to both expert and non-expert audiences.
Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; of PhD in similar disciplines with related experience
• Recent experience in the following areas are preferred:
o working on Flight Projects
o troubleshooting complex systems utilizing various types of modeling and simulation tools and/or laboratory equipment
o Prior experience with handling and testing Engineering Models and Flight Hardware.
• General knowledge and familiarity of
o Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications
o tools/coding languages commonly used such as MATLAB, Python, and lab testing equipment
• Demonstrated initiative and ability to work in a self-starting, independent role
Desired Skills :
The most competitive candidates will satisfy some of the following:
• a high degree of motivation to work complex system issues
• an interest and an aptitude for working out interface issues to resolution
• a curiosity or direct knowledge about how low level details can have high level system impacts
• Willingness to obtain a security clearance if applying from outside Section 313
Number of positions