Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen and Registered for Selective Service
W2 with full benefits
Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a credit check
The Columbus team is looking for a Systems Administrator working on both Windows and Linux systems with at least 3 years past experience in systems administration. This position will be on-site at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. The selectee for this position will be a self-motivated, able to demonstrate experience and skills with strong inter and intra-team communication skills, as well as the ability to support multiple NASA missions and projects as well as working with cross-functional teams, i.e., users, developers, product managers, as well as multiple contractors and government representatives.
Key Elements: Installation, configuration, and maintenance of operating system workstations and servers, including web servers, in support of technical and programmatic processing requirements. Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Schedules installations, upgrades, and maintenance in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Ensures workstation and server security and data integrity by evaluating and implementing software and hardware solutions. Ensures data recoverability by regular system backups and database archive operations, including offsite storage and retrieval services. Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, configuration guidelines, and IT security policies. Responds and resolves operational issues within established SLAs.
Key Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of current operating systems software, workstations, and servers; and their operation, maintenance, and sustaining engineering. Familiar with latest IT security policies, threat practices and software, and software detection and remediation applications.
This is a Systems Administration position working with both Windows and Linux systems. The selectee will be working closely with and assisting senior level SAs.
• Must have experience in an enterprise environment building and maintaining domain controllers, configuring Active directory servers and configuring WSUS
• BS degree in a related technical area
• Must have a minimum of 3+ years' experience as a System Administrator managing Windows 2008, 2012 and 2016 Enterprise systems.
• 3 or more years of directly related experience in computer systems, data centers, system engineering and administration
• Ability to build and configure a Windows and/or Linux system environment from scratch
• Must have experience with patching and maintaining Linux and Windows systems
• Working knowledge of system network configuration, including network authorization (LDAP, Active Directory, PAM) on Windows and Linux systems
• Basic knowledge of Linux command structure
• Experience writing powershell or Bash shell scripts
• Ability to build and configure a Windows system environment from scratch
• Experience with Unix or Redhat
• Understanding of SSH and its setup
• Knowledge of Centrify, Tripwire, Solarwinds, Bigfix and Altiris
• Understanding of the Linux init process
• Understanding how to monitor memory, disk space, and performance is essential
• Proven experience building, configuring and maintaining Linux operating systems
• Proven experience in network configuration including authorization (LDAP, AD, PAM) on Windows and Linux platforms as well as multi-factor authentication.
• Working knowledge of computer hardware (workstations, thin clients, servers, RAID arrays, SAN/NAS)
• Experience with script programming
• Experienced in Windows and Linux systems patching via WSUS and Red Hat Satellite Server
• Experienced in system cloning and backups
• Working knowledge of configuring and building other Unix systems
• Experience with setting up Ubuntu VMs
• Experience with Big Fix
• Experience with Fourscout
Prior experience working with NASA or other government agencies for satellite services and ground systems is desired.
Number of positions