Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be US Citizen and Registered for Selective Service
W2 with full benefits
Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a credit check
The Columbus team is looking for a Computer Operator with 0 - 3 years past experience in roles that engage skills in the satellite data operations. This position will be on-site at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. The Computer Operator V resolves a variety of difficult operating problems (e.g. making unusual equipment connections and rarely used equipment and channel configurations to direct processing through or around problems in equipment, circuits, or channels or reviewing test run requirements and developing unusual system configurations that will allow test programs to process without interfering with ongoing job requirements). In response to computer output instructions and error conditions or to avoid loss of information or to conserve computer time, operator deviates from standard procedures. Such actions may materially alter the computer unit's production plans. This operator may spend considerable time away from the control station providing technical assistance to lower level operators and assisting programmers, systems analysts, and subject matter specialists with resolution of problems.
- Education Requirement: BS/BA degree in a related area
- Works independently under general supervision to operate a computer system. In response to computer output instructions or error conditions, may deviate from standard procedures if standard procedures do not provide a solution.
- Arranges a range of scheduled processing to run on the computer system in the most efficient order. Coordinates priority of processing job tasks with the customer.
- Makes an orderly transition with the succeeding operator of jobs and tasks not accomplished during the work period.
- Resolves common error conditions. In response to computer output instructions or error conditions, may deviate from standard procedures if standard procedures do not provide a solution.
- Diagnoses and acts on machine stoppage and error conditions not fully covered by existing procedures and guidelines (e.g., resetting switches and other controls or making mechanical adjustments to maintain or restore equipment operations).
- Refers problems which do not respond to corrective procedures.
- Tests new programs applications and procedures.
- Assists in maintaining, modifying and operating systems or programs.
- Ensures computer system operations conform to established schedules for production.
- Ensures telecommunications interfaces (hardware and software) utilized by computer system are operating properly.
- Documents standard operating instructions and procedures.
- Communicate with internal and external S/C operation MOCs to handle data capture and initial anomaly notification.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Number of positions