Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Mechanical Engineer II
• Will be a member of the Applied Electromagnetics Group and will report to the Group Supervisor.
• Will assemble, test and document various RF and microwave circuits associated with Deep Space Network (DSN) transmitter and receiver systems.
• Will, fabricate and test DSN low noise amplifiers (LNA), MMIC-based amplifiers, cryogenic systems, microwave hardware systems and associated components.
• Will analyze and provide reports for new receiver and related LNA cryogenic hardware system implementations, including evaluation of RF components and subsystems.
• Will perform assembly and test of cryogenic systems and high sensitivity low noise amplifier systems for various applications including the DSN and R&D.
• Will be working for the Applied Electromagnetics Group, which provides engineering services that include the following: fabrication of electronics (boards and cables/harnesses), microelectronic hardware; electronic packaging, advanced electronic packaging engineering, technical facilities management and cleanroom services; cryogenics systems assembly and troubleshooting.
• Wire bonding and micro-electronics assembly of various RF electronics and amplifiers, including cryogenic LNAs
• Perform LNA probing using cryogenic probe station
• Perform printed wiring board electronic assembly, hybrid, hand soldering, connector pin crimping, cabling, chassis wiring, microelectronic assembly,
mechanical assembly, and chassis wiring for various transmitter and receiver systems.
• Support the system’s design engineer in assessing and recommending design modifications.
• Analyze test data and present results.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• Typically requires a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering with 3 years of related experience, Masters with 1 year of related experience
• Extensive experience with micro-electronics assembly and fabricating printed-circuit boards
• Experience with wire bonding of components and MMICs to PCB assemblies
• Advanced knowledge of electronic fabrication techniques to fabricate and assemble complex, electronic, electro-mechanical, hybrid, cable harness assembly and microelectronics systems, devices, fixtures, parts or equipment.
• Possesses creativity and is capable to innovate
• Advanced understanding of work techniques, applicable policies, procedures and practices in planning, setup, repair and/or modification of, electronic or electro-mechanical systems experimental design circuitry, prototype models or specialized test equipment
• Experience in working from schematics, rough sketches, diagrams, layouts or plans often requiring interpretation
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
• Participated on teams within and outside of own organization
• Extensive experience in working in cleanroom environments and ESD workstations
• Experience assembling and testing cryogenic systems and handling requirements including Liquid Helium, Liquid Nitrogen
• Experience assembling and testing low-noise amplifiers
• Mechanical assembly experience
• Experience with vacuum systems and leak checking
• RF test experience and familiarity with microwave systems
• Demonstrated skill in some computer language
• Experience with computer aided design/analysis and automation tools such as Matlab and Labview.
• NASA soldering, crimping, and cable harness certifications
• Machine shop experience
Number of positions