Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 12 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Robotics Engineer
As part of JPL’s Robotics Section (http://www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/), the Maritime & Multi-Agent Autonomy group identifies and develops technology primarily for multi-robot teams and for autonomous marine vehicles. Core technologies from this group will inform and enable applications such as spacecraft constellations, robot swarms, networked planetary observers, orbiting distributed apertures, and ocean world explorers. Specific group competencies include:
• Algorithms for coordination, planning, and control of multi-robot systems, including formation flying, distributed task identification and task allocation in heterogeneous teams, and collaborative localization and observation
• Autonomy software architectures and software systems engineering (integrating localization, perception, mobility, communications, and human–robot interaction)
• Fusing data from multiple perspectives for robot pose estimation, swarm state estimation, joint object tracking, and environmental mapping
• Motion planning and autonomous mission behaviors for multi-agent operations and for sea surface and subsurface vehicles as well as aerial and ground vehicles.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Robotics, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
• Strong knowledge in one or more robotics sub-discipline.
• Strong software development skills, especially in C++, C, and Python. Linux savvy.
• Great communicator and team member; enjoys fast-paced, multi-faceted R&D work; loves challenges and learning.
• Significant hands-on experience in robotics software; knowledge of ROS (Robot Operating System).
• Must have a minimum 3.0 out of a 4.0 cumulative GPA
• Experience in professional software development environment; knowledge of systems engineering and processes such as requirements development, design documentation, and quality assurance.
• Demonstrated innovation, initiative, and leadership.
Number of positions