Systems Engineer IV
Job opening ID
Systems Engineer IV
Systems Engineer IV
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Systems Engineer IV
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you! The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe. JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence. This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control. As a Systems Engineer for the Avionics Subsystem Engineering Group (349A), you will be working for JPL's Flight Electronics and Software Systems Section, providing leadership and expertise in Avionics Systems Engineering, Flight C&DH Hardware, Flight Software, Simulation and Support Equipment, Avionics Integration, Test, and Operations and Advanced Electronics, Processor, and Software Research.
• Must be a US Citizen
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years of related experience; a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• As a Systems Engineer IV in the Avionics Subsystem Engineering Group, you will be responsible for leading and planning the system engineering activities and products for a subsystem which includes hardware and software.
• Functioning as the systems engineer for the implementation and delivery of the subsystem, you will develop and maintain subsystem architectures, requirements, and interfaces.
• You will define, coordinate, balance and integrate technical and programmatic issues in a holistic manner to ensure that the hardware and software system satisfies requirements, expectations, and constraints within the allocated resources and with acceptable risk. You will also manage technical resources; analyze and model the design; verify and validate the subsystem; contribute to risk management; and control the subsystem change process.
• Develop requirements, functional architecture, design, documentation, and interface definition to external elements.
• Ensure that the design meets functional and performance requirements and complies with institutional standards, reliability requirements, project requirements, and approved waivers.
• Develop system architectures and risk management analyses.
• Work independently on key projects and assignments with only limited direction.
• Lead working groups or design teams as needed to conduct trades or resolve technical issues.
• Develop, prepare and execute verification and validation plans.
• Present complex avionics concepts to line management, project management and technical reviewers.
• Provide technical input for all project milestone reviews and management reviews.
• Track and resolve technical issues within and external to the subsystem.
• Oversee anomaly tracking, disposition and corrective action for the subsystem.
• Mentor and coach junior members of the team.
• Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Systems Engineering, Digital Electronics, Software, Reliability Engineering, and/or Integration and Test.
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories,concepts and techniques of Systems Engineering.
• Demonstrated experience with integrated hardware/software developments.
• Proven experience with hardware/software configuration management.
• Knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of systems applications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to conduct project level reviews and status reports.
Number of positions