Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Mechanical Engineer I
• Reviewing printed wiring board assemblies, cable harness designs and generating design, build, assembly and test procedures to fabricate, assemble and test printed wiring assemblies and cable harnesses.
• Interfacing with the machine shop for delivery of mechanical hardware.
• Collaborating with Quality Assurance to develop solutions to resolve discrepancies with hardware fabrication and develop preventive actions for process improvements.
• Working independently in solving highly complex packaging and cable harness problems.
• Demonstrating flexibility in handling work assignments including cross training with the electronic packaging group for printed wiring board design and analysis.
• Defining and scoping tasks and acquiring the resources to complete a task on time and on budget.
• Interfacing with engineers, designers, analysts, machine shop, and project staff.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; PhD with 0 years of related experience.
• Broad understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in cable harnesses design and printed wiring assemblies.
• Ability to perform trade studies, review design requirements, and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
• Broad knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in electro-mechanical systems including configuration, electronic packaging, cable harnessing, and integration and test.
• Broad knowledge in related fields of manufacturing and assembly of cable harnesses and printed wiring assemblies.
• Broad knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in drawing requirements.
• Broad knowledge of drawing release process and inspection reports.
• Experience interfacing with various suppliers and services including printed wiring board and mechanical fabrication, electronic assembly, project representatives and mission assurance.
• Broad understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in soldering operations, cable assembly and surface mount technology electronics manufacturing.
• Broad knowledge of design, build, assembly, and test processes.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills.
• Must be able to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
• Broad knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
• Broad knowledge in Surface Mount Technology (SMT) techniques, processes, and procedures.
• Broad knowledge in Mechanical Analysis tool (FEM).
• Experience with spacecraft flight hardware development and test.
• Basic knowledge in Computer Aided Engineering (CAD) using tools such as Unigraphics NX or SOLIDWORKS.
• Experience with Printed Wiring Boards (PWB) design tools such as Mentor or Altium.
• Desire a candidate who is assertive, self-motivated and can work with minimal direction.
Number of positions