Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
W2 with full benefits
1 year contract position with potential to be extended
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Job description :
The Lifting Devices and Equipment Engineer (LDEE) will be a member of JPL’s System Safety Office (SSO). The LDEE will report to the SSO
Manager and will support the Lifting Devices and Equipment Manager (LDEM) who is the technical authority for all Lifting Devices and equipment at
JPL. The LDEE will assist in fulfilling the following responsibilities:
• Implement decisions concerning lifting devices and equipment safety compliance issues.
• Identify, assess, and mitigate risk to personnel, mission critical structures and flight hardware.
• Provide input on interpretation, application, and execution of lifting devices and equipment for conformance with JPL, NASA, OSHA, CalOSHA,
ASME, ANSI, and LDE manufacturers’ regulations and requirements.
• Implement policies and procedures relating to lifting devices and equipment requirements/standards.
• Coordinate with JPL organizations, NASA and other agencies and external organizations on lifting devices and equipment safety issues.
• Review, evaluate hazard analysis and render opinion on design applicable to lifting devices and equipment safety issues.
• Provide advice, insight, analysis, and risk assessment of the designs, activities, and operations of lifting devices and equipment to ensure that
actions and decisions have a significant positive impact on multifunctional organizations.
• Develop a detailed and documented process for the Lifting Devices and Equipment program
• Support System Safety Management to develop, coordinate and issue system safety practices; review technical products; support audits and
process improvement on the LDE Program
Required Skills :
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master’s
degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience
• Wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Design, testing, inspection, personnel certification/
recertification, maintenance, and use of lifting devices and equipment such as cranes, mobile cranes, hoists, manlifts.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, theories, concepts and techniques in lifting devices and equipment
design, Non-Destructive Testing (NDT), Schematics and Engineering Drawings, Configuration Control, Repairs and re-rating of lifting devices and
• Working knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in OSHA, California OSHA and ASME, ANSI Codes, NASA
Standards for lifting devices and equipment (e.g. overhead and gantry cranes, top running monorail, underhung, and jib cranes, mobile cranes,
derricks, hoists, hydrasets, hooks and slings).
• Excellent interpersonal skills and work well in a team environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Desired Skills :
• A strong working knowledge of and experience with NASA, OSHA, CalOSHA, ASME, and ANSI regulatory compliance codes/standards.
• Capable of performing risk-based analysis on lifting devices and equipment.
• Continuous process improvement mindset.
Number of positions