Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
1 year contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Overview Researches, develops, plans, and designs mechanical and electromechanical products and systems that may involve nanotechnology. Typical Functions Oversees and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems. Activities may involve but are not limited to electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing, etc. Excludes supervisory and paraprofessional level positions. Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application. Designs products or systems, such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, or heat transfer systems, applying knowledge of engineering principles. Plans and oversees engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods and procedures for testing products or systems. Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications. Coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment. May design products and systems to interface machines, hardware, and software. May use Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) for design data processing and for developing alternative designs. May evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions. May specialize in specific field of mechanical engineering, such as heat transfer, hydraulics, electromechanical, controls and instrumentation, robotics, nuclear systems, tooling, air-conditioning and refrigeration; or in type of product, such as propulsion systems or machinery and mechanical equipment; or in type of work, such as steam or gas generation and distribution, steam plant engineering, or system planning.
• Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with 7 years of related experience.
• A strong background in metallurgy and metallurgical engineering, with a focus on joining techniques (e.g. welding, brazing)
• Familiarity with American Welding Society (AWS) joining specifications and procedures
• Familiarity with aerospace materials, including aluminum, stainless steel and titanium alloys
• Knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to materials identification, testing and characterization.
• Some knowledge in one or more of the following areas: non-destructive evaluation, weld inspection, mechanical fasteners.
• Surface enhancement processes, including nitriding, carburizing, nitrocarburizing, and CVD/PVD coatings.
• Relevant experience in the aerospace industry.
• Background in heat treatment of metallic systems.
• Familiarity with the development of property allowables (MIL Handbook 5)
• Knowledge of JPL policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Previous experience generating reports and/or presentations related to testing and experimentation.
• Experience interfacing with vendors, subcontractors, or University partners developing complex hardware, with space hardware preferred.
• Very good working knowledge of Word, Power Point, Excel and other standard computer office tools
Number of positions