Sr. Systems Engineer
Job opening ID
Sr. Systems Engineer
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
1 year contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Be a member of the Electrical Systems Engineering Group (313G) and report to the Technical Group Supervisor. Be a member of the Europa Clipper flight systems engineering team responsible for electrical flight systems engineering and power systems engineering product development. Be the technical system electrical interface and grounding point of contact for the project. Responsibilities include:
• Leading and developing electrical interface systems engineering products including ground trees, electrical interface function lists, circuit data
sheets and electrical services resource reports.
• Leading and developing electrical systems engineering products including power and energy models and margin reports.
• Developing flight system electrical interfacing, grounding, and power requirements.
• Management of the electrical systems engineering flight product deliverable schedule and receivables/deliverables.
• Generating electrical interface analysis results using Matlab, MagicDraw, Spice, and Capital analysis tools.
• Overseeing partner implementation of electrical interface and grounding design requirements.
• Leading electrical, grounding, and power flight system trade studies.
• Reporting and presenting electrical, grounding and power issues, trades, status and results to flight systems engineering team.
• Leading and negotiating with teams of engineers across technical organization solving highly complex electrical interface and grounding flight system, instrument payload and ground support equipment issues.
• Developing, specifying and reviewing electrical interface analysis, designs, test procedures and trade studies.
• Ensuring proper electrical interface and grounding requirement implementation in harness engineering design products, subsystem end circuit design implementation.
• Collaborating with EMC experts with issue resolutions, requirement specification and waiver mitigation.
• Managing flight system engineering change request orders.
• Defining and implementing the electrical flight systems engineering model based systems engineering product development process.
• Leading and implementing the circuit data sheet development process using Mentor Graphics Capital suite of tools.
• Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: electrical interface systems engineering, electromagnetic compatibility, power engineering, aerospace engineering, systems engineering of system and subsystem level interfaces, requirements definition, flow-down, and verification of system level, subsystem level, or inter-subsystem requirements of Space Systems.
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in electrical interface systems engineering, hardware schematic analysis, electrical compatibility analysis, power design, wiring/cable design, electrical/EMC troubleshooting and test resulting in contributions to the development of new processes, tools, theories and methodologies.
• Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in electrical architecture development, electrical wiring design,
avionics design, developing and monitoring System Technical resources and performing trade studies and/or spreadsheet analysis.
• Proven experience in leading high visibility extremely complex electrical interface compatibility, grounding, electrical fault propagation tiger teams.
• Proven experience leading system level electrical systems, avionics engineering design teams and delivering electrical interface design products.
• Ability to work in a multi-discipline environment with system and specialist engineers.
• Proven experience in leading an interdisciplinary team of system engineers involving spacecraft, instruments, and/or launch vehicle, mission operations, and science personnel.
• Proven experience in defining, developing and verifying electrical interface requirements; performing interface and cross talk analyses; troubleshooting of issues related to grounding, EMI, signal integrity; developing and reviewing engineering products such as electrical interface control documents, electrical interface schematics, electrical block diagrams, ground tree diagrams, grounding analyses and technical specifications of harnesses; interface resource tracking and management.
• Proven experience implementing electrical architecture design optimization trade studies.
• Proven experience using ECAD tools for design and analysis.
• Proven experience in using circuit and system level electrical modeling and analysis tools.
• Proven experience working directly or as oversight function with industry partners.
• Ability to perform systems engineering functions at the system level design.
• Team player with excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
• Ability to interact with external customers, external NASA centers, flight system managers, flight system engineering leads, subsystem engineers,element managers and line managers.
• Strong negotiation and organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, presentation and written communication skills.
• Complete knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Recent flight system experience in electrical issue resolution.
• Experience in requirements development and/or requirements management.
• Experience with state-of-the-art modeling methods and tools.
• Experience working with system contractors.
• Experience in developing and infusing electrical design CAD tools into flight projects or subsystems.
Number of positions