PWB Mechanical Engineer I
Job opening ID
PWB Mechanical Engineer I
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
18 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
• Reviewing printed wiring board assemblies, cable harness designs and generating design, build, assembly and test procedures to fabricate, assemble and test printed wiring assemblies and cable harnesses.
• Interfacing with the machine shop for delivery of mechanical hardware.
• Collaborating with Quality Assurance to develop solutions to resolve discrepancies with hardware fabrication and develop preventive actions for process improvements.
• Working independently and lead teams in solving highly complex packaging and cable harness problems.
• Demonstrating flexibility in handling work assignments including cross training with the electronic packaging group for printed wiring board design and analysis.
• Defining and scoping tasks and acquiring the resources to complete a task on time and on budget.
• Leading design teams in a collaborative environment to design, develop support equipment for the project and research applications.
• Leading design reviews.
• Interfacing with engineers, designers, analysts, machine shop, and project staff.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; PhD with 0 years of related experience.
• Broad understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in cable harnesses design and printed wiring assemblies.
• Ability to perform trade studies, review design requirements, and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
• Broad knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in electro-mechanical systems including configuration, electronic packaging, cable harnessing, and integration and test.
• Broad knowledge in related fields of manufacturing and assembly of cable harnesses and printed wiring assemblies.
• Broad knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in drawing requirements.
• Broad knowledge of drawing release process and inspection reports.
• Experience interfacing with various suppliers and services including printed wiring board and mechanical fabrication, electronic assembly, project representatives and mission assurance.
• Broad understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in soldering operations, cable assembly and surface mount technology electronics manufacturing.
• Broad knowledge of design, build, assembly and test process.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills.
• Must be able to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
• Broad knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
• Broad knowledge in Surface Mount Technology (SMT) techniques, processes and procedures.
• Broad knowledge in Mechanical Analysis tool (FEM).
• Experience with spacecraft flight hardware development and test.
• Basic knowledge in Computer Aided Engineering (CAD) using tools such as Unigraphics NX or SOLIDWORKS.
• Experience with Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design tools such as Mentor or Altium.
• Desire a candidate who is assertive, self-motivated and can work with minimal direction.
Number of positions