Robotics Mechanical Engineer
Job opening ID
Robotics Mechanical Engineer
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
20 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Overview Researches, develops, plans, and designs mechanical and electromechanical products and systems that may involve nanotechnology. Typical Functions Oversees and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems. Activities may involve but are not limited to electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing, etc. Excludes supervisory and paraprofessional level positions. Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application. Designs products or systems, such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, or heat transfer systems, applying knowledge of engineering principles. Plans and oversees engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods and procedures for testing products or systems. Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications. Coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment. May design products and systems to interface machines, hardware, and software. May use Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) for design data processing and for developing alternative designs. May evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions. May specialize in specific field of mechanical engineering, such as heat transfer, hydraulics, electromechanical, controls and instrumentation, robotics, nuclear systems, tooling, air-conditioning and refrigeration; or in type of product, such as propulsion systems or machinery and mechanical equipment; or in type of work, such as steam or gas generation and distribution, steam plant engineering, or system planning.
As a Robotic Sampling Hardware Engineer, you will lead a team to design, analyze, assemble, and test a critical subsystem in the sample acquisition and caching portion of the Mars 2020 rover. This subsystem will enable the collection of Martian surface samples and prepare them for potential return to Earth by future Mars missions. This unique position is part of the JPL’s Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which is responsible for the architecture of mechanical engineering designs and solutions that enable unprecedented space missions and science acquisition.
You Must Have:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• Enthusiasm and a love for mechanical design
• Practical experience with spaceflight hardware and in the design of first-generation mechanisms
• Knowledge of structural analysis and material selection for spaceflight hardware • Practical experience with CAD modeling software, especially UG-NX
• Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• Experience leading a team of technically excellent people ?
Some Challenges You will Tackle:
• Design a first-of-its-kind system that pulls from many disciplines of mechanical and mechatronics engineering requiring creativity, problem solving, and technical expertise.?
• Lead a team of analysts to ensure that the design meets structural requirements.
• Lead a team of designers to develop detailed hardware fabrication drawings.
• Develop assembly instructions and oversee a team that will assemble spaceflight hardware.
• Develop robust test campaigns to ensure the hardware is sound and ready for flight.
• Work with an integration team to integrate the subsystem to the rover and test system level functionality.?
• Experience with robotic systems that interact with unstructured environments
• Demonstrated experience working with various engineering disciplines as the focal point for information dissemination and interpretation.
Number of positions