Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
20 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
Overview Researches, develops, plans, and designs mechanical and electromechanical products and systems that may involve nanotechnology. Typical Functions Oversees and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems. Activities may involve but are not limited to electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing, etc. Excludes supervisory and paraprofessional level positions. Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application. Designs products or systems, such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, or heat transfer systems, applying knowledge of engineering principles. Plans and oversees engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods and procedures for testing products or systems. Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications. Coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment. May design products and systems to interface machines, hardware, and software. May use Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) for design data processing and for developing alternative designs. May evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions. May specialize in specific field of mechanical engineering, such as heat transfer, hydraulics, electromechanical, controls and instrumentation, robotics, nuclear systems, tooling, air-conditioning and refrigeration; or in type of product, such as propulsion systems or machinery and mechanical equipment; or in type of work, such as steam or gas generation and distribution, steam plant engineering, or system planning.
You Must Have:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• Enthusiasm and a love for mechanical design.
• Practical experience with robotic hardware and in the design of first-generation mechanisms.
• Knowledge of structural analysis and material selection for spaceflight hardware.
• Practical experience with CAD modeling software.
• Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
• Experience leading a team of technically excellent people
Some Challenges You will Tackle:
• Design first-of-its-kind systems that pull from many disciplines of mechanical and mechatronics engineering requiring creativity, problem solving, and technical expertise.
• Work with a team of analysts to ensure that the design meets structural requirements.
• Work with a team of designers to develop detailed hardware fabrication drawings.
• Develop assembly instructions and work with a team to assemble spaceflight hardware.
• Develop robust test campaigns to ensure the hardware is sound and ready for flight.
• Experience with robotic systems that interact with unstructured environments.
• Experience with NX modeling and design software.
• Demonstrated experience working with various engineering disciplines as the focal point for information dissemination and interpretation.
Number of positions