Applications Software Engineer
Job opening ID
Applications Software Engineer
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
6 month contract position
W2 with full benefits
Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
The consultant shall provide JPL with both functional and technical support for the design, development, testing and implementation of an enterprise search service for the Pcard Application. The search service shall provide document and text search text using a variety of strategies (i.e. keyword searching, context queries, Boolean operations, pattern matching, mixed thematic queries, HTML/XML section searching) and render search results in various formats including unformatted text, HTML with highlighting, and original document format. Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to the following:
• Be a member of the development team to plan, coordinate and perform technical assignments in support of the Pcard Replacement Project
• Participate in the following: Backlog Grooming, Sprint planning, Daily scrum meeting (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time), Sprint review, Sprint retrospective
• Access and familiarize with JPL’s enterprise business software applications (Oracle eBS, COTS and custom applications) and their development framework; evaluate both ElasticSearch and Oracle Text searches; deliver to JPL a trade study of both search methods and recommend which one will best fit JPL environment that provides the most robust, efficient and cost effective search engine. Detail pros and cons for each.
• Work with project team to define search requirements for the Pcard Application
• Analyze the current PCard system’s legacy data and determine how best to organize it to meet our searching requirements. These data will be archived soon after the new system is implemented but the requirements to search the data will go on indefinitely (primarily to support ongoing audits). Design and implement the archiving approach.
• Design, configure, develop and implement Oracle text that support both document and table data. We need the ability to perform “fuzzy searches” and search for multiple terms across multiple tables and documents.
• Develop a search interface that integrates with the Pcard Application
• Experience with software design, development, documentation and testing in an Oracle Release 12 eBS environment
• Experience with Oracle DB 11g (or later)
• Demonstrated on-the-job experience with standard search technologies and query syntaxes using Oracle Text
• In-depth knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, APEX.
• Excellent analytical skills
• Able to work under pressure and meet commitments
• Must have strong coordination and organizational skills and work well with people in a team environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Familiar with SCRUM framework
• Experience with modern "big data" technology such as ElasticSearch, Hadoop, NoSQL, etc.
• Working knowledge of web services and web services security
• Familiar with JIRA (for issue and project tracking tool)
• Familiar with GIT (for software version control)
• Knowledge of commercial credit card programs
Number of positions