Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 12 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Electrical Engineer III
-As a RF Microwave Engineer III, will be a member of the Spacecraft Transmitter Systems Group (337D).
-Will lead the design and development of various RF and microwave assemblies including frequency converters, synthesizers, power and low-noise amplifiers by performing parts assessment and procurement, board design, build and test, develop requirements and interface definitions.
-Will support RF and Power development for telecom, radar and instrument flight subsystems during all phases of a flight project.
-Will plan board and box level build processes and test, including, generating parts lists and drawings, maintaining hardware build books and recording traceability details, drafting procedures using the IBAT and PBAT systems, participate in critical design reviews, manufacturing and test readiness reviews, and delivery reviews.
-Work with subsystem or payload system engineers and mission assurance to develop adequate V&V plans.
-Will lead change requests, lead waiver efforts, and support Problem Failure Report (PFR) investigations.
-Will work with mechanical, thermal, radiation, packaging, S/C power, EMI/EMC engineers and others to ensure RF board and unit compatibility with defined spacecraft interfaces, environments and limitations.
-Will manage flight unit build contingency, margins, and allocations and negotiate changes with the project. Participate in the development or presentation material and actual presentation for project review involving the RF and power boards and units.
-Will support internal table-top peer reviews, manufacturing and test readiness reviews (MRRs and TRRs), Preliminary and Critical Design Reviews (PDRs and CDRs), Hardware Readiness and Criticality Review (HRCR), and Certificate of Flight Readiness (CoFR) reviews.
-Will support the flight telecom product development manager in managing risks, performance budgets, trade studies, design integration, requirements allocations, interface definition/verification, and verification & validation planning and execution for flight deliveries
-Will help develop the telecom subsystem test plan.
-Will help develop the telecom subsystem operations plan.
-Will assist in capture and documentation of nominal, off-nominal and idiosyncratic flight unit modes and corresponding telemetry that are passed forward to the spacecraft operations development team.
-Will support the research and development of new flight RF and power supply technologies.
-Applies knowledge of practices and standards to RF systems and assemblies requirements definition.
-Develops unique methods and tools for the design of RF components and circuits.
-Partners with other engineers and management to integrate components into highly complex systems.
-Designs and develops RF components, subsystems and systems that represent significant breakthroughs in the discipline.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• MS/MA degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with 2+ years of experience, or a BA/BS degree with 4+ years of experience.
• Knowledge and experience with designing solid state power amplifiers (SSPAs) in non-linear and switch-mode bias classes such as Class-F using discrete or distributed elements.
• Comprehensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, and concepts in RF and microwave circuits, electromagnetic theory and propagation of waves in dielectric media.
• Experience working with RF flight components and their providers, including amplifiers, filters, switches, waveguide, cables, connectors, isolators/circulators, couplers and hybrids, baluns, oscillators, mixers, frequency multipliers and other general analog passive components.
• Experience working with flight board layouts and packaging, microwave fabrication and manufacturing, and test processes with application to low noise amplifiers, powers amplifiers, modulators, demodulators, transponders and power supplies.
• Experience with electrical, mechanical and thermal interface design issues and requirements for RF flight hardware.
• Willingness to work closely with flight project personnel and engineers, scientists and managers throughout Division 33 and the Laboratory.
• Advanced user of some or all of the following software tools: HFSS, ADS, AWR, SONNET, COMSOL, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD, ALTIUM, MATLAB.
• Knowledge and experience with RF/microwave measurements using network analyzers, power meters, spectrum analyzers, etc.
• Familiarity with reliability analyses for flight electronics: worst-case, parts stress, single event effect, failure modes and effects, etc.
• Knowledge of industry practices and standards related to designing, manufacturing, and testing flight electronics.
• Demonstrated verbal and written communications and organizational skills. Ability to collaborate with flight engineering teams involving multiple technical disciplines.
Desired Skills :
• Experience with GaN semiconductor technology and knowledge of process development kits.
• Experience with high power RF electronics (greater than 100 Watts), and high frequencies (X/Ka/W-band).
• Experience with flight instrument integration and test (I&T) for JPL flight projects and/or key research and development tasks for internal and external customers.
• Extensive experience in modeling and simulation of high-frequency electronics.
• Demonstrated ability to conceive, propose, and win new RF and telecom business.
• Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Knowledge of JPL Flight Design Principles and Rules and lessons learned as they relate to telecommunications and/or radio science subsystems for flight applications
• Direct JPL flight mission RF telecom engineering experience including flight build and deliveries
• Experience working on flight proposal teams.
• Experience with flight telecom subsystem testing.
• Experience with software defined radios.
Number of positions