Job opening ID
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Some travel is required.
Labor Category: Technologist IV
JPL’s Thermal Energy Conversion Applications & Systems (3462) is dedicated to research and development of advanced solid state thermal-to electric conversion materials and technologies for application to space and terrestrial power systems. This includes support for the performance validation of various thermo-electric components of space nuclear power systems, performance modeling and support for system engineering and integration. In addition, 3464 designs and develops advanced refractory materials for various energy-related and sensing applications. This group has a unique, highly customized set of facilities and equipment dedicated to this work and is recognized as the world leader for development of advanced thermo-electric power generation technologies.
Currently, we are seeking a highly skilled and industry-experienced Technologist to join the Next Generation RTG Project team. This high priority Project for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate is at the onset of a critical Technology Maturation Phase that may require delivery of parts and components from JPL to the industry flight system developer throughout the next few years.
The Technologist develops new capabilities (including devices, hardware, approaches, systems, methodologies, techniques, processes and specifications) for space and terrestrial missions. As the Technology Delivery Lead of the Next Generation RTG Project team, you will:
• Support the JPL Technology Development Task Manager.
• Have oversight of end-to-end thermo-electric converter technology fabrication and delivery activities
• Provide an in-depth assessment of these activities, including manufacturing processes, quality assurance specifications, data tracking and process/materials traceability, equipment and facilities.
• Propose, plan for and implement approved improvements for processes and logistics.
• Collaborate with NASA, academic and industry partners as required under the Next Generation RTG Project construct.
• Also, pursue new research, technology development opportunities through advocacy and outreach within the technological and scientific stakeholder community
• Also, publish new findings and developments, anticipate trends in technological advancement and help plan JPL activities accordingly.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline, with 9 year of related experience at the undergraduate level, or Masters with 7 years of related experience, or Ph.D. with 5 years of related experience.
• Successful candidates possess broad knowledge in materials engineering, semiconductor processing, have an extensive understanding and wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in the field of advanced technologies for application to energy conversion and sensing, and extensive knowledge of applicable industry practices and standards in the development, processing and testing of semiconductor devices.
• The ideal candidate must have wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in the following areas:
• Expertise in developing advanced thermo-electric technologies through the use of advanced synthesis, fabrication and characterization techniques and the use of analytical tools and simulation models
• Demonstrated ability in developing and delivering new technology concepts in support of high performance solid-state energy conversion technologies, such as thermo-electrics
• Ability to propose innovative concepts and lead R&D projects
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, both informally and for formal presentations and review settings.
Preferred qualifications include experience and demonstrated capability in the areas of:
• Development of advanced high temperature thermo-electric converter technologies
• Demonstrated ability to deliver thermo-electric converter hardware
Number of positions